At this point, some if not all of us have been at home for almost three weeks AND it’s still March. I have been spending my time from Social Distancing, in the kitchen cooking. Working on recipes that are easy by using pantry and fridge staples. Like this Easy Thai Fried Rice. Check out and follow me on Instagram for the #PantryFridgeRecipes!
Quick facts on Thai Fried Rice
Thai Fried Rice which is also known as Khao Phat. Jasmine Rice is used, but not soy sauce which is not common in Chinese Fried Rice. It is served with cucumbers, your choice of proteins, sometimes tomatoes and a Thai chili sauce. The recipe that I will be sharing it is my take on this classic dish.
Let’s get Cooking !
This is one of my favorites recipes. You probably have all the ingredients in your refrigerator. Remember you can always use what you have on hand, especially right now with the grocery store’s empty shelves. I created this recipe earlier in March so I had more items in my freezer. I usually buy in bulk so it would last me about two months.
For this recipe you will need day old cooked jasmine rice. It is preferred because the rice is drier and it will absorb all the flavors. I also used Argentinian shrimps from Trader Joe’s. These are my favorites because they are plumpy. For the Beef I used about a pound of Chuck Roast sliced really thin, remember you can always use the cut of beef you have on hand or skip it altogether. I made a quick marinate:
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsbp Rice vinegar
- 2 scallions stalks
- 1 tbsp of Sriracha (Optional)
- Mix everything and let marinate overnight.
Chop the tomatoes, onions and green onions. In a frying pan like this one from Calphalon, heat Sesame Oil and cook the beef, then set aside. Use the other tbsp of sesame oil to heat the rice, adding the green onions, white onions and oyster sauce, stir frequently. In a separate pan scramble the eggs and set aside. Continue frying the rice, for about 5 minutes.
You will also like:
Add Salt, garlic, beef, shrimp, tomatoes, eggs, continue frying for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with cucumbers and top with green onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
There you have it y’all! It is a super easy recipe that honestly you can eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can even add a fried egg on top! Recipe card below.
Easy Thai Fried Rice (Khao Phat)
- Frying pan
- Slotted Spoon
- Measuring Spoons
- 3 cups Day old Jasmine Rice
- ¼ cup green onions
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3 tsbp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Lb Chuck Roast (sliced thinly and marinated,recipe above)
- 1 bag Argentinian Shrimp I used Trader Joe's
- 2 eggs
- Cilantro, Scallions and Lime for garnish
- 1 tsp Salt ( You can use more to your liking)
- Chop Onions, tomatoes and Green Onions, set aside.
- Cook beef with one tbsp of sesame oil, set aside.
- Cook Shrimp, season with salt lightly, then set aside.
- Scramble eggs and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat Sesame oil, green onions and yellow onions until tender.
- Add rice and oyster sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add Garlic, Beef, Shrimp, tomatoes and eggs. Frying for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with Cilantro, Green Onions and squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram #hungrytravelingmama @hungrytravelingmama.Would love to see your photos!